Saturday, January 14, 2012

Samhain and a new beginning

Those of you actually still following this blog after my year of trauma and loss (and intermittent posting) may recall a novel I talked about back in 2010 called The Late Night Horror Show. This was a novel I had sold to Leisure Books/Dorchester Publishing based on a synopsis. I had written 15,000 words of it when Dorchester abruptly dropped their mass-market publishing line. No need to rehash all the associated drama with that development. The bottom line is I negotiated a cancellation of that contract and parted ways with Dorchester. I did not resume writing The Late Night Horror Show as there seemed to be no point at that time.

However, because of a brewing dissatisfaction with some other things I need not go into, I recently wound up talking to former Leisure horror editor Don D'Auria again about Late Night Horror Show. Don is now the editor of the new horror line at Samhain Publishing. And yesterday I signed a new contract for this book. Samhain Publishing will publish The Late Night Horror Show in early 2013. I'm happy to join the Samhain crew and very glad to be working with Don D'Auria again.

More news on this as it develops. In the meantime, check out Samhain Horror's page at the link below:

http://www.samhainpublishing.com/horror.htm

6 comments:

Angelia Sparrow said...

I hope the move goes well. Samhain is good people.

diana said...

I will definitely be looking forward to The Late Night Horror Show in 2013. The title itself makes me excited to read this. Glad to hear Don D'Auria is back at it because I think Dorchester committed suicide in letting him go. If I may ask (and if I may not just say it's none of my f-ing business) is there any of your work I can look forward to in 2012? I just bought a used, hardcover of The Dark Ones that Delirium published. It is the holy grail of my book collection.
Anyways, I looked at the Samhain Publishing site and also amazon and found a few that I have ordered and pre-ordered. Looks like a good publisher (although I don't know about that kind of business) and I think it's great you're there. Take care Bryan and I hope 2012 is good to you.

Bryan Smith said...

Diana,

Deadite Press will be doing some more reprints of my old Dorchester stuff, but I don't currently have anything new set to come out from any actual publishers until Late Night in 2013.

I may well self-publish one or two ebook things at some point later this year. Just keep an eye on the blog because if that happens I'll definitely post about it here. And if I do that, I'll probably also make a paperback version available (as I did with Kayla and the Devil) for the people who still prefer the print format.

Anonymous said...

I was on Amazon today and I noticed your book Dark Ones is no longer available through Kindle. Will that book be coming back out for Kindle because I never got around to buying it before it disappeared. :(

Bryan Smith said...

Well, what happened there is that the digital rights to all my Dorchester books reverted to me at the end of 2011 and they had to pull their versions. I will be putting out my own digital versions of all those books as the year goes along. Sorry you weren't able to get the old version before it disappeared, but I hope to have mine available within the next month or two.

Chris Kosarich said...

Awesome news, Bryan! Been a huge fan since THE FREAKSHOW...and look forward to the 2013 Samhain release and of course the Deadite stuff! You rock...take care, my friend...

Chris